Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What is the Link Between Anxiety Panic Attack Symptoms and Agoraphobia?

What is Agoraphobia?

I always thought that Agoraphobia was the fear of open spaces, but I’ve learned that it is actually the fear of what may happen outside of our perceived "safe-zone." I know that personally, there are places in my life that have become sorts of "safe havens" for me. My home is my primary safety zone. Everyone is different. For some it may be their home, but it could also be the place where they grew up, their office, car, cottage, or any other place in which they feel safe and comfortable.

So, the broader definition of Agoraphobia is the fear of finding oneself in a dire situation outside of one’s safe area. This fear can cause severe anxiety in sufferers. Agoraphobia is linked to panic attacks and to the fear of suffering anxiety panic attack symptoms.

I’ve talked before about people who have experienced anxiety panic attack symptoms being so traumatized by the experience, that they develop an unhealthy fear of having another one. This fear can grow to such intensity that the victim begins to seclude themselves away from society in an attempt to protect themselves from having another attack. Or they may feel that they need to stay somewhere "safe" in case they do have an attack.

In effect, the victim is actually compromising their quality of life by trying to protect themselves from anxiety, insanity or death. Refusing to live for fear of dying.

If you're ready to beat anxiety for good, click here to see a fantastic solution I found

No comments: